The Belize Garifuna Song Competiton
The Belize Garifuna Song Competition is a Battle of the Drums cultural retrieval and preservation initiative. Its main objectives are:
- To encourage Garifuna musicians to continue to produce songs in all genres of Garifuna music, thereby contributing to the library of Garifuna music across many genres;
- To motivate musicians to produced quality Garifuna music that will be of world music standards;
- To provide a forum that will allow musicians to showcase their Garifuna music and possibly jump-start their career;
- To assist musicians in acquiring some of the skills and equipment and connecting with professionals in the music industry who will assist in propelling them to the pinnacle of world-class music production;
- To contribute to cultural tourism by attracting international musical enthusiasts to a competition and related events where the music of the world-class category is being promoted.
The Competition is open to amateur and professional musicians who submit entries in any one of 6 genres (categories): Hungu Hungu, Paranda, Punta, Gunjei, Punta Rock, or a mix (cross-over) of two or more of the aforementioned genres.
The lyrics of all songs have to be in the Garifuna Language. No other language will be entertained and each song submitted must be the contestant’s original work.