High School Battle of the Drums
As a result of the monumental success of the Annual Battle of the Drums Competition and Show event, several High Schools particularly in the Stann Creek and Toledo Districts expressed interest in participating in a similar competition and show that would showcase the Garifuna drumming talent in the High Schools. Consequently, in partnership with various high schools in the South (of Belize), the Battle of the Drums Secretariat conceptualized a High Schools Battle of the Drums competition. The first Annual High Schools Battle of the Drums was held in 2011 and for the ensuing three years included only high schools from the southern part of Belize. As of 2014, Wesley College from Belize City has joined and it is our expectation that more high schools will join in the future.
The hosting of the High Schools Battle of the Drums is rotated among the participating schools. The event is held each year two Fridays prior to the adult Battle of the Drums.
- To allow high school-aged youths to compete in a meaningful way while showcasing their talents in the expressive art of Garifuna drumming, singing, and dance;
- To provide a forum for high school-aged youths from different parts of the country to interact with each other while engaging in a positive cultural experience and environment;
- To generate funds which will be re-invested in the High Schools Battle of the Drums thereby making it self-sustaining;
- To generate funds that will be used to pursue various Garifuna cultural retrieval projects in the participating high schools;
- To provide a “feeding ground” that will prepare and provide future participating groups for the Annual (Adult) Battle of the Drums Competition and Show.
Participating High Schools for the High Schools Battle of Drums:
- Stann Creek Ecumenical High School
- Delille Academy
- George Town Technical High School
- Independence High School
- Julian Cho Technical High School
- Toledo Community College
- Wesley College